Forgive me for the editing of this post, but I’m typing it on my phone at Google’s eBook session.
Listening to: Scott Dougall, director, product management, from Google
- Google positioning Google eBooks as “all about choice”.
- 15 million Google Books
- 3 million free Google eBooks
- cross-platform accessibility
- eBook sales tripled @ Google over last year
- 7k publishers
- 4 mln books found – 100 mln pgs read = 25 pgs read per book on avg?
- most eBooks found via web, read within apps
- Google Bookstore becoming destination and mobile store gaining traction at cost of search
- 250 resellers in the US
- indie booksellers getting creative: bar codes and purchasing within store to mobile apps
- “higher priced” nonfiction (eg medical texts) outselling fiction among Google eBooks
- in-store events to promote eBooks
- affiliate program for bloggers slated for this year
- bundling (digital/print) not in the works
- hinting at book rental play (Netflix model)